Interventional Radiology in the News
- SIR submits feedback on payment rule to CMS: The Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) has submitted comments to the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recommending changes to the agency's proposed rule on its quality payment program.
- SIR member/Dr. Darryl Zuckerman discusses uterine fibroid embolization to treat these non-cancerous tumors that grow within the uterus that affect 20 to 80% of women between the ages of 30 and 50 years of age.
- Uterine fibroid embolization should be an option. High hysterectomy rates among black women could be attributed to the fact that it may be the only option black women are given.
- A new study says that including anti-nausea medication in the preprocedure protocols for patients with liver cancer who are undergoing drug eluting bead chemoembolization (DEB TACE), a minimally invasive interventional radiology procedure that uses of drug-coated beads to deliver chemotherapy locally to restrict the blood supply to a tumor, can shorten hospital stays and reduce the chance for readmission due to complications.
- SIR: Better interventional radiology staffing needed: To meet increasing demand for interventional radiology services, better staffing is needed, according to guidelines released by the Society of Interventional Radiology.
- Interventional radiologists on the forefront of opioid-free pain management featured in the Chico News and Review.
- NBC News highlights interventional stroke treatments.
- The New York Times explores the challenges of diagnosing and treating PAD mainstream in this Well Blog item.
- Subspecialty training was a key takeaway of the 2016 Dotter Lecture. A new survey reported in Diagnostic Imaging further explores the implications for the future of radiology.
- Radiology Business considers whether interventional radiology ambulatory surgery centers (irASCs) are the way of the IR future.
- Read about how IRs are displaying their value in a cost-conscious medical world in the March issue of Radiology Today.
- As part of DVT Awareness Month, SIR member Robert A. Lookstein, MD, FSIR, of Mount Sinai Health System, discussed how to prevent and treat blood clots with New York City’s NBC affiliate.
- AuntMinnie.com reports on a new study about the cancer risks radiation poses to interventional practitioners using fluoroscopically guided imaging
Media coverage: SIR 2016, Vancouver, British Columbia (sampling)
Bariatric Arterial Embolization
- NBC Nightly News: Megan Radford (4/6/2016)
New No-Surgery Weight Loss Procedure Shows Promise
- Health Daily Digest: Staff (4/6/2016)
Novel Non-invasive Weight Loss Procedure Shows Promise
- Medportal.ru: Staff (4/6/2016)
Treat Obesity start using microgranules
- Endovascular Today: Staff (4/3/2016)
Sustained Weight Loss Observed in 6-Month Results From BEAT Obesity Bariatric Embolization Study
- EmaxHealth: Tim Boyer (4/4/2016)
Nearly Nonsurgical Weight Loss Treatment for Morbidly Obese Targets Hunger Pain
- Ars Technica: Beth Mole (4/4/2016)
New nonsurgical weight-loss treatment curbs hunger, melts away
- Tech Times: Rhodi Lee (4/4/2016)
Non-Surgical Method Offers Another Way To Treat Severe Obesity
- Free Press Journal: Staff (4/4/2016)
New non-surgical weight loss treatment to fight obesity
- I4U News: Sumayah Aamir (4/4/2016)
YOU CAN BEAT OBESITY WITH SAFE, NON-SURGICAL WEIGHT LOSS TREATMENT
- MicroCap Observer: Jason Furze (4/4/2016)
New Revolutionary Tool To Lose Weight Safely Without Surgery
- Mirror Daily: Joe Hennessey (4/4/2016)
OBESITY COULD BE TREATED WITH BARIATRIC EMBOLIZATION
- Times of India: Staff (4/4/2016)
Shed kilos with this new safe, non-surgical weight loss tool
- Modern Readers: Melissa Taylor (4/4/2016)
Severe obesity can be treated with non-surgical procedure
- IANS: Staff (4/4/2016)
Beat obesity with safe, non-surgical weight loss treatment, says study
- PerfScience: Diana Bretting (4/4/2016)
Minimally invasive, non-surgical, safe weight-loss treatment developed
- ABC 6 WPVI: Staff (4/4/2016)
REVOLUTIONARY NEW WEIGHT LOSS PROCEDURE IN TRIALS
- Rochester First: Mark Gruba (4/4/2016)
Clinical trials on new weight loss procedure
- Health Imaging: Dave Pearson (4/4/2016)
Interventional rads demonstrate viable alternative to stomach surgery for obesity treatment
- Everything Lubbock: Allison Morrison (4/4/2016)
Healthcast, Can Testosterone Help Lower Heart Attack Risk In Some Men
- LNR Media: Staff (4/4/2016)
Scientists have developed an effective method of losing weight
- Asriran.com: IRNA (4/4/2016)
Weight loss with a new treatment
Uterine Fibroid Embolization
- Health Imaging: John Hocter (4/65/2016)
Image-guided treatment could lead to increased libido in women
- Medical Daily: Susan Scutti (4/6/2016)
Embolization Works as Hysterectomy Alternative In Effectively Treating Uterine Fibroids
- Asian News International: Staff (4/6/2016)
Nonsurgical fibroid therapy can give your libido a boost
- AuntMinnie.com: Brian Casey (4/4/2016)
SIR: Interventional Radiology Makes Life Better for Patients
- HealthDay: Karen Pallarito (4/4/2016)
Women's Sex Lives Get a Boost After Non-Surgical Fibroid Treatment
- Endovasular Today: Staff (4/3/2016)
French Multicenter Uterine Fibroid Embolization Study Shows Improvements in Sexual Desire and Function, Quality of Life
- Catch News: Staff (4/4/2016)
Another reason to go for nonsurgical uterine fibroid treatment: Better sex
- Plymouth Herald: Staff (4/6/2016)
Amputee Afghanistan veterans could have nerves frozen to combat phantom limb pain
- Fox News: Nicole Kwan (4/6/2016)
Cold blast treatment relieves phantom limb pain, study finds
- UPI: Stephen Feller (4/6/2016)
'Cold blasts' can freeze out phantom limb pain
- Practical Pain Management: Thomas G. Ciccone (4/6/2016)
Cryoablation Therapy Cools Phantom Limb Pain
- Public Trust of India: Staff (4/6/2016)
New Technique can treat phantom Limb Pain
- AuntMinnie.com: Staff (4/6/2016)
SIR: Cryoablation relieves phantom limb pain
- European Pharmaceutical Review: Victoria White (4/6/2016)
Pioneering treatment could freeze out phantom limb pain
Prostatic Artery Embolization
- HealthDay: Dennis Thompson (4/4/2016)
New Prostate Technique May Help Men's Nighttime Urination
- NewsMax: Sylvia Booth Hubbard (4/4/2016)
Treatment Cuts Nighttime Waking of Men With Enlarged Prostates
- JILARD News: Ross Cummings (4/4/2016)
New Prostate treatment could ease nighttime urination
See the archive for older stories.